Beer-can chicken, or as it's more affectionately known 'Beer-in-the-Butt Roast', is a no-brainer recipe for a lazy Sunday in the sun. Here's how to bbq that bird on a throne good-and-proper:
Warning: Expect no leftovers.
- 1 x whole uncooked free-range chicken (or turkey, or poultry of choice, though finding a beer can that fits a pigeon would be tough)
- 1 x can of beer of choice
- Herbs, rub or oil of your choice
- Heat up your BBQ or turn on your oven to 180 degree C
- Choose your preferred rub or stuff and massage your bird
- Drink half the beer while you prepare the bird
- STOP DRINKING AT HALFWAY
- Cut the top half of your beer can and discard
- Put the can in the middle of a baking tray (for oven roasting) or on the bbq grill (if using a grill, place foil or a tray underneath to capture the juices)
- Carefully 'seat' the chicken over the beer can - legs straddling either side - ensuring the beer can is partially inside
As the bird heats, so does the liquid in the can, creating a plume of steam into the interior of the chicken. The result is a moist and flavorful chicken fit for a king.
Serve warm with salad and sides.
- Bean Butt Bird: Try Heinz Baked Beans
- Christmas Chook: use Apple cider or apple juice
- Jamaican: Red Stripe with a Bbq or Cajun rub
- Sweet: Coke or Ginger Beer
- Sweet but light: Diet Coke
- Rich: Red Wine
- Vegetarian: Vegetable broth
*Ignite can not be held responsible for the outcome of these options.