Hailed as the SMS of the internet, Twitter has transformed the way in which we communicate.
“To give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.”
It has changed our entire social dynamic by allowing businesses, public figures and celebrities unfiltered access to their audience.
According the 2015 Q1 report, Twitter has over 302 million monthly active users sending over 500 million tweets per day, 80% of users are mobile and we all know that mobile is the future. So how can your business benefit from being on one of the world’s largest social networking sites?
– Decide on a relevant and easy to remember twitter handle (your user name e.g. @ignitetweet). Then make sure you have an up-to-date profile picture, an engaging cover photo, click here to see some great examples, and unlike other social networks you can also customise the theme colour of your profile.
– Twitter’s feed works in reverse chronological order, constantly being updated and refreshed. Depending on the number of accounts a person follows, this feed can move very quickly and the average lifespan of a tweet is about 3 hours so it is important to post a few times a day.
– Twitter gives you only 140 characters to engage your audience so tweets must be concise and interesting, potentially including a link to click through to a longer article or landing page.
– Include a photo in your tweet or, even better, a video. Video can be used to share real-time events, promote or educate an audience and gather user-generated content (asking followers to send you their videos).
– Use Twitter Ads and Twitter Promoted Video to reach a wider audience and increase brand engagement. Twitter ads are ideal as they can be optimised, target specific audiences and the data and responses generated can be measured and analysed.
Twitter has recently announced a number of new updates and changes to its algorithm including Highlights – a simple summary of the best tweets for you via a push notification, and the most recent development has been the acquisition of Periscope – a live-streaming video app straight from your phone. Social media is constantly evolving and we are evolving with it, thanks to smartphone technology humans now have an 8 second attention span (a goldfish has nine) having fallen from 12 seconds in 2000. The question is no longer whether or not to do social media, the question is how well do you do it?
Here at Ignite we have an expert in house Digital Marketing team who have run big social campaigns on Twitter for clients such as Bella Italia. To find out how Ignite can help your develop social media campaigns please get in touch.